Thursday, November 7, 2013

Feminist Playlist

I have a feminist confession to make. This past summer I could not get enough of Robin Thick’s song, “Blurred Lines.” When I first heard it I though it was the catchiest things I had ever heard and LOVED it. It wasn’t until a friend made me read the lyrics did I realize that the song pretty much went against the moral fiber of my being (don’t get me started on the video). Well, that might be a bit dramatic, but I did experience an internal moral dilemma. Do I listen to the song that I can’t help but dance to or do I boycott the song to make a point?

Anyways whether or not you like Robin Thick’s song isn’t the point, there is a bigger picture here. We, as feminists, are quick to point out when the media portrays something that is degrading to women. We see it all the time in the news, music, pop culture, movies, celebrities, etc. The “media” is inherently sexist. But, what can we as ordinary, seemingly powerless, and wrapped up in our own lives students do to help the media’s image of women?

Here’s a start. We can listen and promote female artists! I’ve created a playlist of female vocalists that are some of my favorite artists out there. You can listen to it here! And, if you like what you hear, promote these women! Buy (don’t pirate) their albums and show your support. It’s a simple, painless, and fun way to practice feminism.  Sound like a plan?

Here’s the playlist:
  1. 365 Days – ZZ Ward
  2. What I Wouldn’t Do – Serena Ryder
  3. Royals – Lorde
  4. Home – Gabrielle Aplin
  5. You Know I’m No Good – Amy Winehouse
  6.  I’m Not Calling You a Liar – Florence & The Machine
  7. Hotel Song – Regina Spektor
  8. Cold Shoulder – Adele
  9. Finders Keepers – Miriam Bryant
  10. This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) – Ellie Goulding
  11. Jar of Hearts – Christina Perri
  12. Wings – Birdy
  13. Shake It Out – Florence & The Machine
  14. Soon We’ll Be Found – Sia
  15. Gather and Run – Natasha North
  16. Hold On – Alabama Shakes
  17. My Moon My Man – Feist

-Michelle Van Veen '14

1 comment:

  1. I believe that this is a point that is often missed through our discussions on media. Rather than continuing to support music that is offensive and consistently degrading towards women, it is important to continue to support female artists (who consistently rock!). If we don't, media can cover up blatant sexism through a catchy beat and continue to perpetuate the cycle of violence and sexism until it starts all over again. While we cannot stop ourselves from being exposed to a "blurred lines" type of song, it is important to start this conversation with our peers, and turn to supporting positive female and feminist examples in the music industry instead.

    ReplyDelete